I’m Chris Dale, a photographer based in Nottingham, England.
My photography comes from the enjoyment of being out in the woodland and countryside, unwinding from life’s stresses and being surrounded by nature.
A lot of my work is focussed on the local area, which isn’t known for big vistas. This has led me to look at the landscape differently, trying to capture the essence of the place at that time, rather than a straight representation.
While most of my photos have no obvious landmark I aim to portray the different elements that make up a location, sometimes wider views but more often small details and abstract interpretations.
I generally prefer to work on a series rather than a single image, whether that’s a simple triptych or a longer term project.
It’s also important to me to make most of my images close to home. The vast majority of photographs in my portfolio were taken within 15 miles of my front door and all within the UK.
I’ve been an advocate for making the most of what’s on your doorstep since early on in my photography, building familiarity with your subject and learning to look at and interpret the ordinary in different ways.
In more recent times, with both travel restrictions imposed by the pandemic and the growing urgency of reducing our environmental impact this approach seems more relevant than ever.
My images have been published, exhibited and awarded in major competitions.
- LE Mag March 2021 – Mountains from Molehills project (One to Watch)
- Black & White Minimalism Magazine Issue 23 – Periphery of Darkness project
- On Landscape – Dark Woods 4×4 Portfolio
- Visit Nottinghamshire – Exploring Sherwood Forest, blog interview
- Chris Dale “Sherwood” – published by Kozu books
- Outdoor Photography – Lie of the Land, No Place Like Home
- Amateur Photographer – Mountains from Molehills, 3 page feature
- Outdoor Photography – Reader Gallery, 3 page feature
- Black & White Minimalism – Best of Minimal/Abstract Photographs (Issue 05)
- Amateur Photographer – ‘Cold Comfort’ winter landscape tips
- Amateur Photographer – Reader Portfolio, 2 page feature
- British Wildlife Photography Awards 2018 – Highly commended in Wild Woods category, published in Awards 9 book
- International Garden Photographer of the Year 2017 – 3rd place in Trees, Woods and Forests category, published in Collection 11 book
- Outdoor Photographer of the Year 2017 – Commended in Light on the Land category, published in Portfolio III book
- Tarpey Gallery Open 2021
- Off Centre Photography Festival – Periphery of Darkness project @ Photo Parlour Nottingham (November 2019)
- Glasgow Gallery of Photography – Monochrome Exhibition (October 2019)
- Connected Exhibition – Nottingham (2017 – 2019)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards 2018 – Mall Galleries London & exhibition tour
- Off Centre Photography Festival – Mountains from Molehills project @ Backlit Gallery, Nottingham (November 2018)
- International Garden Photographer of the Year 2017 – Kew Gardens & exhibition tour
- Fotospeed Photographer of the Year – NEC Photography Show, Birmingham (March 2017)
- Patchings Festival ‘Landscapes in the Landscape’ – Nottingham (July 2016)